Thursday, January 7, 2010

All I hear is the crunching of snow under me












The snow has hit us hard. We are looking at temps in the single digits and lows in the negative. So the last 2 days work has been called off. I don't know if it is due to the cold, the snow, or the wind. It might be all 3. As i was outside at the gas station I felt like I was 8 yr old. I had on my warm boots from scotland, 3 layers with winter jacket, gloves, has, and scarf. I think the only thing that was showing was my nose and eyes. LOL!! I felt like my mom dressed me to go sledding.

I don't mind the cold and snow. I like drawing inward and enjoying time inside. Books, movies, games along side a fire with a hot drink is great. That is if you have everything to keep you toasty and warm without complications. Plus I love the clothes of winter. Soft sweater, fleece, cords, layers with flannel, some warm socks.

It is soooo hard to be motivated to workout. The thought of running and then climbing into a cold car is the last thing I want to do. But I have 2 wks off from the gym and I need to do something. While in Utah it was easy, throw on some snow shoes or skis and you had an instant workout.

While outside i stood still for a bit and took in the sights and sounds. I loved the smell of the snow. The distinct sound on snow crunching. The houses and trees are dusted in white. The stillness of winter is also amazing. In the cold you can hear everything even the smallest branch moving seems amplified in winter. Smoke is even different. Fireplaces take on a warmth and glow this time of year. It hangs in the air and mixes with the snow. I loved going in the mtns and experiencing this. The one thing I realized that was missing was the pine. The pine mixed with the snow can't be captured by a candle or spray. Boy do I miss this smell.

Don't get me wrong. The cabin dream day will soon fade and I will be craving the sun. But for this moment, nothing can get me past the snow crunching underfoot.


No comments: